When planning what I would be doing with Wyatt’s room, I knew this time I would choose a theme. With his sisters space, I went with an eclectic look, that would go with anything. For my boy, the room would have a theme, but still one that would grow with him and not become outdated quickly.
The most famous Wyatt in history is ‘Wyatt Earp’, you may have heard his name mentioned in movies, popular culture, historical books and westerns. He was a lawman and well know for participating in the gunfight at the O.K Corral. Drawing inspiration from this, I thought what best to have a western themed room, a masculine theme, with old world charm and one a boy could grow into and not out of.
Some of the constraints in his room is the size of it. We don’t stay in a large home, it’s rather tiny, and he has a tiny room (it was once my office). I had to work with the space and work with the built-in cupboards and desk space. Some of the items are what I had in Skylar’s room and moved across, as they worked better in the space.
I have also been in love with the cactus murals and wallpaper, and took it upon myself to paint it on the walls around the cot.
Working with a small space tips:
- Don’t be afraid of using larger decor items and wall art, it can make the space appear larger.
- Keep the walls light and bright
- Simple storage that hides toys and other bits and bobs
- Keep to a colour palate (I tried to at least)
- Minimal furniture as floor space is at a premium in a tiny room.
- Keep the room for sleeping and not for playing
- Make use of what you have, the old desk space, became our changing station.
Change things up:
- Have some places within the room that you can change up from time to time with minmal ease.
- I love our wall hook from Mayalief, I have never bought something so quickly off an online store, as when I saw it. You can change the items you display on here and really change the room and refresh it in a couple of months.
- The shelves, use your imagination and display different items or keepsakes, this way the room does not become boring to you, and keeps the theme alive.
Local Businesses featured in the room:
Here are their Instagram accounts, I encourge you to follow them in you are not already.
Bella Poppelina – Customised one of a kind mobile, white round rug and setson hat.
Zoe Bird – Made to ordern large felt ball W.
Mayalief – Wooden wall hook, ‘Be Stong and Courages” wall hanging, Circle dangle, custom bison pillow and hand painted art, cactus art and magnet clip frames
Liv Bespoke Kids – Hand stitched embroidery Mountain scene, wooden circle hanging quotes, wooden bear.
Kikki & Franki Decor Design – Custom bison vinyl.
Declan and Leah – Custom Wyatt name plaque
Love Baby Products – Changing matt
Lia and Reece Materinity – Change matt frame and dangles
Yogi Blocks – Custom Wyatt and Western Theme wooden blocks
Olly Polly – plush fox toy
Mooo – Merino wool blanket
Jan Pierewiet – leather baby bag
Tiger Lily Tots – Wooden hanging garland
Cherry Dot Studios – Custome rust knot cot bumper
Grow Baby – Small wooden play blocks
Shooshoos – Various styles around the room
Jelly Bean – Wyatt’s outfit in the photos
We also have a lovely nappy caddy from BabyDove that was personalized for Wyatt. This is the most used item in the room… for obvious reasons. He he
Thank you to all the small businesses that helped me put this room together for my boy, your dedication to your craft and love for what you do is evident. You can feel the love as you walk into the space.
If you are reading this blog, and not sure on a paticular item, or want to know more, let me know, I am happy to give as much additional information as I can.